Welcome to the STOCKPORT and SOUTH MANCHESTER branch
of CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale Still under development
There are more than two hundred branches of CAMRA throughout the UK, of which Stockport & South Manchester CAMRA is one. ... Click for more details
A map & list of the branch pubs & clubs
Three views available:
Real Ale - Others Open - Historic
- Chairman John Clarkeku.gro.armac.mss@namriahC
Branch magazine going back to 1984.
Advertising Information and Subscription
Downloadable pdf issues
We are a very active branch of some 1,241 lovers of pubs, beer and cider drawn from the south of Manchester and most of the old county borough of Stockport. For full details of boundary see the Area section of the About us tab by clicking here.
When the branch was originally formed in the Printers Arms in January 1974 it was initially known as South Manchester and covered a much larger area than current. Originally it also covered what are now the boroughs of Salford, Trafford and even as far as Warrington! Because we jumped the gun slightly, the Urban District Councils of Marple and Bredbury were not included, as they only became a part of Stockport three months later when Greater Manchester was formed in April 1974. This accounts for the anomaly of the Stockport & South Manchester Branch not covering the whole borough of Stockport! Then again, calling ourselves West & Central Stockport and South Manchester would be a real (if accurate) mouthful.
Our activities vary from social outings to beer festival, through regular monthly consumer surveying (better known as a Stagger) and Wanders, to campaigning about endangered beer types. For more information click here.
Fancy yourself as an ace reporter? Why not help with our award winning magazine Opening Times. With at least 16, and often 24 A4 pages of copy required, articles are always welcome. More details here.
WHAT IS CAMRA?
The full title is Campaign for Real Ale or we could have been The Beer Drinkers Champion, but that would be BEDCH
Do you want good beer, served in pleasant, friendly surroundings and at a fair price? So do we! That's why CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, continues to fight on behalf of you, the British drinker.
- Good beer: CAMRA promotes traditional ales through awards to those who brew or sell them at their best, through 150 annual beer festivals, and through the best-selling Good Beer Guide.
- Pubs: With dozens of pubs lost or altered every week CAMRA fights the crass vandalism to your heritage. CAMRA also helps obtain Listed Building status for historic pubs, and promote the importance of "the local" to the community it serves.
- Consumer rights: CAMRA campaigns for a fair deal for you the customer, on issues such as full-measure legislation and licensing reform. We act as a vigorous consumer voice in Westminster, Whitehall and Brussels.
- Choice: CAMRA promotes independent brewers so you can have something other than national brands. We fight for a licensee's right to stock a guest beer which is free of any outside influence so that landlords can stock what THEY (and you their customers) want to drink.
JOIN THE FIGHT
The impact of CAMRA's efforts is down to the support of its thousands of who fund our work and lend weight to our voice. The more members we have, the bigger the differences we can make. If you support what CAMRA is doing for Britains drinkers, why not help by becoming a member.